Let’s face it – we’ve all had those butterflies in your stomach before something very exciting happens but preoperative anxiety is no walk in the park. Whether anxiety is a regular occurrence or it is just plain jitters – just know that preoperative anxiety is very normal. Here are some foolproof ways to calm those pesky nerves:
- Learn about the procedure. Being well informed about your surgery takes away the “unknown”. Many people tend to stress or over analyze about things that they are uneducated about, thus planting a certain fear in their brains. The more you know about your procedure, the better!
- When you go to Dr. Potparic’s website https://www.drzoran.com, you will find a link to “View Your Procedure in 3D”. “View Your Procedure in 3D” gives options of different procedures of the face, breast, body, and skin that Dr. Potparic performs. Once you click the desired procedure, an animated presentation will give you plenty of material about anatomy, goals of surgery, as well as different techniques as to achieve such desired goal(s).
- Talk about your fears/anxieties. Speaking with a loved one or medical professional about what you’re feeling is a great way to vent. Most of the time, we just need to talk it out.
- Keep busy. In the days leading up to surgery, you may feel more anxious than ever. Attempting to keep busy will distract your mind from your impending procedure. Cleaning your home, cooking, or organizing schedules for you and your family will not only keep you occupied, it will assist in making your recovery process that much easier.
- Entertain yourself. Have a new book, movie or new music you’ve been itching to dive into? Now is the perfect time! Doing something enjoyable brings you back to yourself and diverts your attention away from your upcoming surgery.
- Practice stress relieving techniques. It goes without saying, stress relieving techniques such as meditating, taking a walk, or utilizing breathing exercises can have major beneficial side effects.
It is good to note that you can always count on your board-certified plastic surgeon and his/or her team to discuss your feelings and thoughts leading up to surgery. At Dr. Zoran Potparic Plastic Surgery Fort Lauderdale’s office, we strive for total transparency and the utmost support for our patients. Schedule your complimentary cosmetic consultation today to see what the hype is all about.